Friday, June 5, 2009

HCG Protocol Begins :)

So, after a decade of struggling with my weight, and a diagnosis of pituitary disease that affects my pituitary & hypothalamus glands, I'm trying something called HCG. It's sort of a last resort for people who have had weight issues...when the "eat less calories than you expend" strategy doesn't work. When you exercise till you fall over and don't lose a pound.

After my diagnosis, I was put on Hydrocortisone to replace the cortisol that my pituitary gland is too damaged to make. While it helps tremendously with my overwhelming fatigue and muscle aches, it also causes weight gain. Not good for someone who has been desperately struggling to lose it in the first place.

My weight issues started as a teenager. I gained 50-60lbs in a few months without increasing my calories. I went from a slim, healthy, happy 18 year old to a fat, flabby, exhausted person who was covered in stretch marks and hated herself. Over the last several years, I've gained and lost the same 30-40lbs, never reaching "thin" and usually feeling awful. I've had a personal trainer, nutritionists, and a strong willpower. I've tried Phentermine, Dexatrim, Jenny Craig, Medifast, Weight Watchers, Atkins...you name it, I've tried it. I've also help myself accountable. I know the caloric content of every bite that goes into my mouth. I've keep food journals. Doctors thought I had Cushings Disease...but no test reveals it conclusively. So they just end up thinking I'm sneaking food, or don't know portion control. Sometimes I hate conventional medicine.

At my wedding a few years ago, I was 5'6 and 175lbs. It took me a year to lose that 35lbs...6 days a week at the gym, removing all wheat/gluten/sugar from my diet,etc. In the last two years, I've put on 50lbs without really changing my healthy eating habits. When I started on Hydrocortisone, I weighed 210lbs...that was 2 months ago and I've gained 15 lbs since then. My endocrinologist recommended eating 800-1000 calories a day. I've done that...it leaves me weak and irritable.

A few weeks ago, I was making appointments with a plastic surgeon. I felt that weight loss surgery itself wouldn't help because I didn't have a problem with portions and willpower. But I felt that it was time to explore liposuction, tummy tucks, and brachioplasty for my huge belly and batwing upper arms. Then my mom called to tell me about a coworker who had lost 40lbs in a few months and kept it off. She was giving herself injections of something called HCG, which is often used in infertility treatment. It's something natural the body produces when a woman is pregnant.

I have done my research. There are many naysayers...but for every one of those, I find 10 supporters. I've read blogs. I've read of struggles from other women like me...who have legitimately tried everything. Women with PCOS, thyroid, and pituitary issues. Women who are finally, finally losing weight. Lots of weight.

So I ordered my HCG online and it arrived last week. My hubby has been monumental in helping me get started. He learned how to mix everything for the injections, and then cooked up all the proteins I needed, took me to every health food store for proper vitamins and organic items, etc. He thinks I'm gorgeous no matter what...it's time I actually feel that way myself.

I'll be blogging on my steps as often as I can. Start weight, 224.7lbs. Goal weight: 150lbs. I hope to reach there within the next 5 months. 75lbs in 5 months...sounds impossible, but I'm going to try!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment